Storage & Packing Tips
At Keepers Self Storage, we care about the safety of your belongings. Below are a few tips on how to organize and pack to insure a successful move.
- Store the items you’ll use the most at the front for easy access.
- Boxes that are tightly sealed with packing tape will prevent dust from entering.
- To retard rust, wipe all metal surfaces with a rag containing a few drops of machine oil.
- When storing business files, leave a walkway down the center of your unit to make accessing items easier.
- Label boxes on all sides for easy identification.
- Do not store anything flammable (such as paint or other chemicals) or perishable.
Preparation for Your Move
- Disconnect all appliances.
- Disassemble all beds and tables.
- Box-up TVs and stereos.
- Be sure to use good quality boxes; check with your Keepers Storage location to see if boxes and other packing materials are available to purchase.
- Place heavy items in small boxes for easy lifting.
- Fill your boxes completely and securely close them. (Keep boxes
under 30 lbs for easy lifting)
- Label the boxes to allow you to identify the contents.
- Close and securely tape all boxes.
- Use a dish-pack or glassware box for greater protection.
- Wrap each item with protective wrap or foam; place a layer of packing inside the bottom and at the top of the box.
- Nest cups and bowls, and stand dishes, saucers and platters on edge; wrapped glassware should be packed upright near the tops of cartons.
- Pack paper into all open spaces to ensure a tight fit.
- Label all boxes containing glassware; do not place heavy items on top of these boxes.
- Save the original cartons that contain delicate ornaments.
- Pad with packing paper.
- Wrap strings of lights around a piece of cardboard then place in a carton lined with packing paper.
- Wrap large lamp bases in padding; smaller lamps should be wrapped and placed into boxes.
- Pack delicate lamp shades separately.
- Do not use newsprint to wrap lamp shades or any other goods that may be damaged by ink stains.
- Do not store heavy items on cartons containing lamps or lamp shades.
- Make sure to thoroughly clean all appliances.
- A refrigerator or freezer should be clean and dry and stored with its door slightly ajar.
- Utilize space inside for more storage.
- Boxes can be stacked on top of stoves, refrigerators and freezers.
- Place a pallet, corrugated cardboard mat, or plastic sheet on the floor and stand mirrors, pictures, mattresses and couches on end with protective covers over them.
- Disassemble beds and tables and wrap table legs in paper; if a table will not disassemble, place padding on the floor and place the table on its top with the legs pointing up.
- Use dresser tops for stacking cartons and dresser drawers for linens or small, delicate items.
- Keep upholstery off the floor.
- Stack chairs seat-to-seat if possible or place upside down on tables which cannot be disassembled.
- Do not place heavy items on sofas or mattresses.
- Avoid stacking or leaning furniture against outside walls to aid ventilation.